Saturday 5 February 2011

An illustration for Melbourne's Child

Until I was contacted by the editor of Melbourne's Child to ask whether I would like to contribute illustrations to the magazine, I didn't realise that the publication is actually Australia wide, and is familiar to those in respective states as "Sydney's Child", "Adelaide's Child" etc. Don't tell anyone, but I hadn't done editorial illustration since last century. And I think it shows, because my little girl is a bit -- well -- stiff. But I have since worked on a couple more illustrations which will appear in the subsequent issue, and I can report that I am happier with them.
Hopefully they will improve with each month. It's a nice challenge that I am lucky to have.
The illustration as it appears on the page, below. It's pretty small, which is good. Illustrations always look more impressive when they're reduced. Like on a stamp...it's one of my dreams to illustrate a stamp one day. (Likely a pretty common and time honoured dream among illustrators!)


4 comments:

jen storer said...

Oh you are such a mulit-talented girl! COngratualtions. I think you're little 'preppie' is a total sweetie, a lovely pensive expression and a pretty palette too. Look fwd to many more... jx

ameskeria said...

it's lovely! I want that bird! :)

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Wow, congratulations.... I love your little girl. Hope you will post more of your illustrations. Good luck & have fun!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you all so much! I have not been on the computer as I have been having problems with my internet connection due to a storm in Melbourne on Friday night.