Wednesday 2 February 2011

A knitted horned beast of some sort

Trying out a horned animal design that I made up yesterday. Even though there are all manner of such beasts in graphed form out there already, of course when I needed one I couldn't find a nice one in my books (or on the internet) so I made one up.
Here is the basis for my graph, from 5000 Animals, Amsterdam, 2001. (It's a great resource for both strange and wonderful copyright free animal engravings - thanks to my dear friend Serena!)
Not QUITE as adorable as the engraving is the finished graph. This was made in Illustrator by placing a transparent grid over the drawing and filling in each square. Because knitting stitches are actually wider than they are high, the grid should actually be made up of slightly squat rectangles. However my knitting must be so tight when I follow motifs that they don't need to be. That's my theory anyway.
Feel free to print and knit him if you like. Even better, if anyone out there could verify exactly what he is -- to me he seems neither moose nor deer - that would be great!

6 comments:

ameskeria said...

beautiful!! oh! I love so much this kind of knitted patterns

jen storer said...

Perhaps he is an elk? All i know is that i couldn't knit him if you paid me. You are doing a gorgeous job Sandra. Meanwhile maybe i could hobbytex him onto a jumper?? Does anyone even remember hobbytex? ;) x

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you Ameskeria, so do I! :)

Jen , you are very funny. I reckon a Hobbytex animal would be every contemporary teen's idea of cool. And 'elk' sounds right to me, so thanks for that!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you Ameskeria, so do I! :)

Jen , you are very funny. I reckon a Hobbytex animal would be every contemporary teen's idea of cool. And 'elk' sounds right to me, so thanks for that!

Laura said...

Hi there!
I have been searching everywhere online yet I cannot find out how to do the thing with the transparent grid over the image!! I really would appreciate it if you could perhaps quickly summarize it for me, I am doing a biology assignment and I need to fill out grids/squares for each bacteria pattern.
Thank you so much in advance. I look forward to hearing from you soon :)

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Laura -- it's not the sort of question I receive every day, but I hope my answer is helpful....

I do the grids in Illustrator. I just make tiny squares with a black outline and fill each one. If you don't have Illustrator, I'm not sure how you would do it.

Good luck with your assignment!