Thursday 9 February 2012

Sketch for Alice

My dear friends asked me AGES AGO if I would paint portraits of their daughters.  I have avoided the task for many reasons.  Ostensibly I was too busy but in fact I was sure that I would botch it up: portraits are a weighty proposition.
Now that Alice is down on paper I feel relieved and happy.  Getting the sketch right is so important: it's where all the thinking goes.  Well, that's how it is for me.  Alice is a great animal lover: she has pictures of all sorts of wild animals next to her bed and is greeted by a huge poster of a gorilla every morning.  This composition was her wish, though the gorilla here has since become a baby version, and may well change again before we move on to the final work.  Her little sister Evie is next!  I'm sure that she will provide me with a challenge....

2 comments:

jen storer said...

Oh! Lucky lucky Alice! I adore the expression on her face too, as proud and fierce as Aslan. Gorgeous. jxx

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thanks so much Jen, it's so nice to know that you know who I am depicting! And what a bunch of book lovers the entire family is too.... ;)