Saturday 30 July 2011

To fill some gaps...

My studio was featured in the (melbourne) magazine yesterday, a glossy monthly supplement to our city's broadsheet, The Age.  Apart from noting that I look extremely embarrassed, I wanted to set something straight.  "I FILL THE GAPS WITH SUPER THINGS" is not a jaunty assessment of my cluttered surroundings.  It is an entry from an old diary: a declaration that I had been foolishly idealising my new beau.  I pinned it up because I wanted to make an artwork about it.  Not because I think that I actually fill gaps with super things!  It is interesting that the writer, Konrad Marshall, focused on the words that he saw in my studio. 


...Or maybe I will fill gaps with super things when I'm old and wise, like Margaret Olley


More importantly, I wanted to mention that Indi the stylist, Sharyn the photographer and her assistant Tess were all really lovely and went out of their way to help a nervous photoshoot-novice like me feel comfortable, as did Konrad.  Of course the quality of the entire article proves that.  Secondly, this photo shoot came about via Craft Victoria.  I am incredibly grateful to the wonderful women there for the enormous amount of support that they have given me over the last two years.  The other reason that I mention them is to urge anyone out there to whom a Craft Victoria membership might be relevant -- i.e. they live in the state of Victoria, and they make craft -- to join.  


It could change your life!!!


Meanwhile, have a sunny weekend.

10 comments:

Betty Jo said...

Great article Sandra and you look very relaxed and totally lovely!
I suppose readers can interpret your phrase in a number of ways. I can relate to the cluttered surroundings interpretation (although I can also relate to your more romantic version).
Yay for Craft Vic!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hello Liz, thank you so much for your lovely comment! Isn't Craft Victoria the BEST?!
:)

swinkie said...

You look gorgeous! Congrats for your latest exposure... up an' up and up!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Awww thank you Ms Swinkie, you are a sweetie! I wish it had been more about my work and less about "me"....

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra - I studied fine arts with you at Melbourne Uni about a million years ago and now I know what you're up to. Your work looks great! x Natalie

Sandra Eterovic said...

Oh Natalie how lovely to hear from you!!! You are so sweet for taking the time to write. I hope you are well, It would be great to catch up with you one day. :)

jen storer said...

Oh how lovely! I didn't read any papers this weekend but Im sure my local cafe will still have it. It's a gorgeous pic btw! jx

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thanks Jen! Do seek it out as the other spaces are WAY more interesting: my favourites are the indoor garden and the teepee! :)

Evie said...

oh what a wonderful article! congratulations. i think only you would think you look nervous. i think you fit perfectly in your fabulous surrounds. craft vic rock : )

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Evie! Thank you very much, I wish that my surroundings had camouflaged me completely actually.

Yeah -- Craft Vic rocks! :)