Sunday 14 September 2014

Playing with words, snow domes, etc.

 Most of this week has been spent on making work for the Hut 13 show starting mid October.  Above: this one comes from a thought that struck me while I was swimming in the Richmond pool recently on a rather cold winter's night.  The fact that the pool in Richmond is indoors and I was swimming in the slow lane did not deter me from having such a thought.  I took it as a form of psychological progress (i.e. being kind to myself instead of harsh) but really I think it is symptomatic of our culture of self entitlement.
And I put it on a guy's t-shirt so I guess that makes it OK.
Above: I had lunch with the lovely Rob Snarski this week, who gave me this special gift and confirmed that he has never been inside a snow dome before.  I will confirm in turn that my artwork has never been inside a snow dome before either (for a better look at the actual artwork inside the snow dome, pop over here).

I finished a painting which has been sitting idly in my kitchen for over a year.  It is a portrait of my lounge room, and I have just shown a detail of it above.  Trouble is, half of the stuff in the picture wasn't actually there to refer to anymore.  Luckily the Lips Mirror was, so I painted a portrait of the artist reflected into it, kind of in Renaissance style.

And last but not least: I painted this in the kitchen yesterday too.  Spring 1883, the art exhibition held in suites of the Hotel Windsor last month, had many highlights.  Number one for me was hearing someone say "I'm still waiting to be blown away."  I thought it was a very 2014 thing to say, especially as the exhibition was actually pretty damned good.  Self entitlement, huh.

5 comments:

sister outlaws said...

a cynical sort of narcissism is rife Sandra and you're work has such a wonderful way of shining a light on it but with humour and grace and no trace of self righteousness. you rock. love the lounge room painting with reflected portrait. very Valesquez!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you so much Julianne. I have enjoyed reading and rereading your comment -- I think that you make my work sound better than it actually is! Are you sure there isn't a smidgeon of self righteousness??
I'd love to think that there isn't. Thank you so much!!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you so much Julianne. I have enjoyed reading and rereading your comment -- I think that you make my work sound better than it actually is! Are you sure there isn't a smidgeon of self righteousness??
I'd love to think that there isn't. Thank you so much!!

Betsy said...

Sandra: I just discovered your work on Etsy today and I, for one, am no longer waiting to be blown away. You've done it. Thank you for your wonderful, witty intelligence and completely captivating weirdness. I'm having the hardest time deciding what shall be the first piece in my Sandra Eterovic collection. Very inspired by all that you do.

Sandra Eterovic said...

THank you so much Betsy! To say that you made my day would be a vast understatement. :-)