Friday 1 January 2010

'79 bedroom wall revsited




Happy 2010!
Back in 1979, I made these little girls. They skated in a row around my bedroom walls: a little parade of well dressed chicks doing my favourite things. When the room was later divided into a study and hallway, I kept my little friends along with the sticky tape that clumsily held them up, on sheets of A4 paper for safekeeping. While the sticky tape slowly turned yellow and the marker went pale, I tried to think of a way to display them again. A couple of months ago, I found a sheet of wallpaper exactly as I had in my bedroom at Meet Me at Mike's, bought a frame at Ikea (then subsequently broke the glass) and put it all together. Ta da!
...I love a good holiday project! (You?)

10 comments:

Pilgrim said...

i die.
that is so cool!!

(ps: i loooove rollerskating too. i have a pretty epic 13hr roller-disco playlist i work out to)

ginevra said...

That's such a sweet story! I'm amazed you kept the girls so long (they're really detailed, too) and that you found the perfect wallpaper @ mikes.

Elaine Prunty said...

pretty genius , and so poignant , i guess its the new year being upon us and this whole passing of time thing but it's just so wonderful that you've captured a bit of that time with this brillant picture.

a very very happy 2010 to you.

mimi k said...

I love how your girls look- and what a wonderful memory.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you Mimi!

Sandra Eterovic said...

A very happy 2010 to you too, Elaine! Yes, it is a little poignant actually! ;)

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Pilgrim! Thank you!! I had this image of you working out on your skates for 13 hours straight!!! I'm glad you like them. :)

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Ginevra, Thank you! I can't believe I found the exact same wallpaper -- and Mikes was the first place that I looked. Meant to be...

Sandra said...

thanks for sharing. those skating girls are just lovely and the story is too. glad they have found their way home. sandra x

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Sandra, I'm very pleased that you like them. So far they seem very happy, except that one adventurous one keeps skating right off when the window is open. Happy New Year!