Saturday 8 October 2011

A teen for Melbourne's Child




I was really pleased to be asked to illustrate a story for Melbourne's Child (and Sydney's Child, etc.) about a depressed teenage girl who also happens to be mildly intellectually disabled.  I used to assist at an art class for intellectually disabled adults and I still pay a weekly home visit to one of the students I met there. We either chat or I help him run his errands as he has difficulty getting around by himself.  He also has some complex mental health issues which have not always been dealt with properly. This story is about separating such mental issues from the intellectual disability: from my own experience I know how crucial this is.

I have included my sketches here as the editor asked me to simplify my ideas for the final versions. It's a shame that that Twilight DVD isn't clearer, as I was quite proud that I remembered to include the most likely teenage girl's companion!  Hee hee.

By the way, if anyone in Melbourne reading this is interested in doing the very rewarding work that I have been discussing here, do contact Inclusion as they are fantastic people and always on the lookout for new helpers.

6 comments:

sister outlaws said...

Love the teen's blue nail polish! Thanks for the link to Inclusion. My younger sister has an intellectual disability and is trialling independent living at the moment (up in the country) and couldn't do that without the assistance of a great carer. Unfortunately disability support is spread pretty thin.

Sandra Eterovic said...

HI Julianne,

Thank you very much for your comment. I can imagine it must be SO hard for anyone who needs any kind of special help and lives outside a major city. Your sister is so lucky to have found a good carer. All the best to her.

By the way I am really pleased that you like the blue nail polish!! Hee hee....

sister outlaws said...

One of the teenager's in this house always wears green or blue nail or pink nail polish! Usually to match her green or blue or pink fringe. Which was just like me at her age!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hee hee I love it! What goes around comes around....and it must bring a little smile to your face. :)

Thank you Julianne for your lovely comments.

Alice said...

Las ilustraciones están fantásticas... y me pasa siempre con tus dibujos que termino enamorada de ellos, tienen un carácter tan grande y me parecen incluso que son mejores comunicadores de la emoción... para mi! por supuesto.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Thank you Alice! If you were an art director I would be the luckiest illustrator in the world! ;)